Major Agricultural Projects in Canada
Major Land Reclamation Projects
Major Wildlife Habitat Projects
Forestry Projects in Canada
Forestry Projects in Developing Countries
Linear Facility Route Selection & Environmental Protection Planning
Completed and implemented for hundreds of pipelines, roads and highways,
railways, and hydro lines in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan,
Manitoba and in the Yukon.
Surface Mine Land Reclamation
Soil and overburden inventories, soil handling plans, assessment of
agricultural capability, design of post-mine landscapes, soil and crop plot research,
reclamation literature reviews.
Projects completed for 16 coal and oil sands mines in the mountain-foothills, northern
forest and prairie regions of Western Canada.
Soil Damage Mitigation
Soil rehabilitation land for agricultural land degraded by topsoil loss,
compaction, erosion, waterlogging and salinization, and oil and brine spills have been
prepared for numerous sites.
Natural Areas Rehabilitation
Landscape sensitivity and management guidelines, soil reclamation and
revegetation plans, and monitoring systems have been prepared for alpine and subalpine
areas in National parks; and for sand dune and badlands landscapes on the prairies.
Reclamation Certification Assessments
Detailed reclaimed site assessments based on "Reclamation Criteria for
Wellsites and Associated Facilities 1995 update". Assessments conducted on
approximately 1000 wellsites throughout Alberta. Consists of detailed soils, vegetation
and landscape descriptions of reclaimed wellsites.
Facility Site Selection, Impact Assessment and Mitigation
Site selection, environmental impact assessment, environmental protection
planning, mitigation design, and rehabilitation plans have been prepared for numerous oil
and gas processing plants, urban and industrial facilities, sewage disposal systems, and
open pit mines.
Monitoring systems have been designed, set up and operated to track the effects of acid
farming emissions on soils around several gas plants.
Integrated assessments of soils, groundwater surface water, vegetation, and wildlife have
been conducted on many of the projects.
Major Agricultural Projects in Canada
Irrigation and Drainage
Lake Diefenbaker Development Area (Saskatchewan)
- Geological and Groundwater Frameworks.
- Soil Mapping and Irrigation Capability Evaluation.
- Soil Salinity and Local Groundwater Investigations.
- Drainage Feasibility Investigations; Project and On-Farm Planning.
- Irrigation Management Extension Services and Project Planning with Water
- Soil-Crop-Water-Fertility Research.
- Five Major Projects, 1987 to 1989
- Riverhurst Irrigation Project 60,000 acres
- Grainland West Irrigation Project 30,000 acres
- Ridge Creek Irrigation Project 47,000 acres
- Elbow Irrigation Project 87,500 acres
- Coteau Bay Irrigation Project 108,000 acres
- Client: Saskatchewan Water Corporation
Southwestern Saskatchewan Small Basins Study
- Feasibility study of irrigation potential of 22 sites.
- Soils, geology, and groundwater overviews and soil salinity hazard
Client: PFRA and Saskatchewan Water Corporation
Agricultural Development Projects
Hawk Hills, Slave Lake, and Sturgeon Land Development Feasibility Studies
- Inventory and capability rating of forest lands suitable for homestead
Client: Alberta Public Lands
Indian and Metis Land Development Planning
- Land inventory and capability ratings of a large number of Indian
Reserves and Metis settlements in northern Alberta for development planning of communities
and farm ventures.
Client: Indian Affairs and several Bands.
Multiple Land Use/Capability Planning Studies
- Lake Management Plans for areas with agriculture, wildlife, recreation
and country residential use conflicts (Sylvan L., Pine L., Wizard L., Skeleton L., Lac
LaBiche, Wabamun L., Edm.-Devon RDA, Edm.-Ft. Sask. RDA).
Client: Alberta Environment
Soil Conservation Projects
On-Farm Soil and Water Conservation Plans.
- Prepared conservation plans for 60 farms in the County of Vulcan, to deal
with wind and water erosion, soil salinity, and water quality.
County Soil and Water Conservation
- Prepared a Municipal Conservation Planning manual for Alberta
Agriculture, and assisted several municipalities in planning programs and targeting
Overview of Soil Degradation in Western Canada
- Prepared an overview of soil erosion, salinization, acidification and
organic matter loss and effects on crop yields. This required estimates of extent and
severity by census division for Agriculture Canada policy development.
Soil Salinity Manual for Western Canada
- Development of guidelines for investigation, control and reclamation of
saline soils in a user manual format. Client: PFRA and Alberta Agriculture.
Alberta Disaster Assistance 1986 Flood, 1987 Flood, 1988 Flood
- Development of reclamation guidelines for silted and eroded farmlands in
west central Alberta.
- Supervision of damage documentation and assistance payment program.
- Training program for assessors and agricultural fieldmen.
- On-farm advisory service.
Client: Alberta Public Safety and Alberta Agriculture
Boundary Dam and Shand Coal Mines, Saskatchewan
- Soil classification and mapping and land use surveys of pre-mining
agricultural land to establish agricultural capability and productivity.
- Identification of soil salvage and replacement procedures to return the
land to pre-mining capability.
Client: Luscar Ltd./M & S Coal Ltd.
Note: Similar projects have been completed at 16 surface mines and at several hundred
industrial and oil and gas facility sites across Western Canada for almost every major oil
and gas and coal company.
Reclamation of Saline Sodic Soils Research
- Research is continuing on the reclamation of salt-affected soils following pipeline
construction on agricultural land.
- Soil quality parameters and crop yields are being correlated to
alternative soil handling procedures during construction.
Client: Nova Corporation of Alberta
Reclamation of Coal-Mined Land Demonstration
- Demonstration plots were built by various soils handling procedures at a
surface coal mine site in southeastern Alberta.
- Forage and grain crops are grown annually to determine successful and
sustainable soil reclamation and crop management procedures for plains coal mines.
Client: Manalta Coal Ltd. and Luscar Ltd.
Wildlife Habitat Projects
Wildlife Habitat Inventory Framework for Alberta; for Alberta Fish and Wildlife (four
projects 1984 to 1986)
- Developed guidelines and a provincial ecological zonation map for
wildlife habitat inventory and evaluation.
- Completed a 1:10,000,000 scale habitat inventory map and relational
database for Alberta.
- Developed guidelines and a habitat inventory of 3,000,000 acres at
1:250,000 scale of a mountain-foothills-plains pilot area.
- Prepared natural vegetation community type descriptions and successional
pathways for all ecoregions in Alberta.
Projects in Canada
In all projects Pedocan was the prime contractor responsible for all phases of these
projects. Our staff was often complemented by subcontracted outside consultants.
Manitoba Forest Site Classification and Mapping Pilot Study;
for Canadian Forest Service and Manitoba Forestry Branch
- Development and testing of Site Classification and Ecological Land
Mapping criteria and methods to apply to a provincial inventory.
- Development of land management and productivity interpretations.
- The program was very well received and Manitoba is planning to
extrapolate the procedures to a provincial inventory as soon as possible.
Forest Soil Reclamation Standards for the Mountains and Foothills of
Alberta; for the Government of Alberta and the Coal Association of Canada
- Identification of requirements of post-mining landscapes for various
types of forestland.
- Review of international literature, local conditions and
mining/reclamation practices and all relevant local forestry research.
- Intended to guide reclamation research and policy development.
Canstar Leases Ecological Inventory; for Canstar Oil Sands Ltd.
- Forest Sites Classification and detailed Ecological Mapping of 30,000 ha
of forestland in northeastern Albertas oilsands region.
- Integrated inventory of rare plants, wildlife habitat, ungulates,
furbearers, and small mammals.
- Land capability evaluation for Forestry, Agriculture, and Wildlife.
- Development and application of guidelines to rate forest ecosystem
sensitivity to acidification by airborne emissions.
OChiese Forest Management Area, Hardwood Utilization Study;
for Alberta Forest Service
- Check cruising of forest inventory and Fomes decay inventory in aspen and
- Test pulping of various decay standard classes.
- Product utilization study of the hardwood resources.
- Evaluation of terrain constraints to harvesting throughout the FMA, and
identification of erosion hazards.
Coal Valley Forest Ecosystem Inventory; for Luscar Ltd.
- Detailed baseline inventories of landforms, soils, forest ecosystems, and
wildlife habitat of a coal lease area for reclamation planning and environmental impact
- Input to mine planning and environmental license applications.
Logging Area Haul Road Locations; for BCFP and for Western
- Terrain mapping and evaluation of soil erosion hazards for logging road
Projects in Developing Countries
(experience gained as outside consultants to the executing agency listed)
P.R. of China, Langxiang. Forest Bureau.
Integrated Intensive Forest Management project, Heilongjiang Province; (CIDA), (TM
Thomson & Assoc.)
- Forest Research Centre development and management plan and equipment
identification Forest Site Classification and Land Mapping.
- Bareroot Tree Nursery soil management and demonstrations.
- Training of laboratory technicians; air photo interpretation training
courses; and land mapping training of counterparts.
R. of S. Korea Gangweon Province Livestock Feasibility Project for Gangweon
Province; (with Deloitte, Haskins and Sells)
- Land capability/suitability evaluation of livestock development in a
forestland use area, forage and pasture development and management guidelines, and input
to economic analysis.